Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 284, click here.
1. Las Vegas police facing Mike Tyson after he’d just bitten Holyfield’s ear off, 1996.
2. 20,000 Americans attend a Nazi rally in Madison Square Garden, 20 February 1939.
3. John Meintz, an American farmer tarred and feathered by a mob for his German heritage and allegedly not supporting war bond drives, 1918.
4. Famed sharpshooter Annie Oakley holding a gun Buffalo Bill gave her, 1922.
5. A good news day, 30 April 1945.
6. Queen Victoria’s funeral procession, among them King Edward VII, Kaiser Wilhelm II, and the Duke of Connaught, 1901.
7. Earliest known photo of Jerusalem, taken in 1844 by Joseph-Philibert Girault de Prangey.
8. Charles Ponzi upon release from prison in Charleston, South Carolina, 1934.
9. Ottoman troops with ski equipment in the Caucasus campaign, 1915.
10. Howard Carter examines the sarcophagus of Tutankhamun, 1922.