We asked our regular contributors through e-mail What’s a “boring” hobby that’s not boring at all? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. Making holes in wood and stuff.
2. I do counted cross stitch. I’m not creative at all, but give me a coded pattern that creates a map (I always do maps – but you can make way more intricate things than you think if you invest the time) and I’m all over that sh*t. It’s how I quit smoking.
3. I don’t know if it counts as a hobby, but I love just going for walks. I live in a small city, and I walk the same route often, with various extensions. On my days off, I spend the whole day by myself, walking around the whole town and watching, listening to music, and thinking. When I spend time with friends, I take them on walks with me. I walk in the woods, in the streets, I get lost, I walk to get to where I want to go, I’m always walking. I love it. It relaxes me and makes me feel purposeful at the same time. I seriously recommend it to everyone, just take a walk today. Watch the sunset. Watch the people around you. Look at the trees, look at the sky, look at the light moving across the buildings, listen to your footsteps or your breathing or a song or a story. It’s so good for you.
4. Birding. People love hiking and going outdoors but as soon as you add in birds suddenly it’s seen as “boring”. Birds are so diverse and you’ll never know everything there is to know.
5. Falling down rabbit holes on Wikipedia.
6. Gardening. You’d be surprised!
7. Knitting, actually. If you can do it right it’s actually fun. Note that you’ll probably rage quit if you get it wrong.
8. Geocaching: started this when my then GF and I were dirt poor in college and now we have logged about 1700 caches in about a dozen different countries. Even just doing it near our home is awesome, because you get to see things you’d never see otherwise. Highly recommend.
9. Editing videos, a lot of my friends say it looks boring, but it’s actually soothing and calming after a stressful day.
10. Playing chess.