Here are this week’s interesting historical photos. For part 273, click here.
1. The Auschwitz death camp was discovered and liberated by the Red Army, 1945.
2. Robert Downey Jr. in a mug shot taken when he was transferred to the California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison, Corcoran, 25 August 1999.
3. East German border guard fires at a fleeing citizen, 1989.
4. Czechoslovak man posing with half loaf of bread in front of banner “The meaning of the policy of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia – paradise for humans” Communist Czechoslovakia, the 1960s.
5. The Queen during her first tour of Australia, 3 February 1954.
6. Walter Smith, charged with B&E, stealing property and clothing valued at 21 kgs. Sentenced to 6 months of hard labour, Australia, 1924.
7. Members of the American league against war and fachism protest in front of the Italian consulate in New York against Mussolini’s invaision of Ethiopia, 1936.
8. Raising the Flag on the Three-Country Cairn.
Infantry Regiment 1 raises the Finnish flag to celebrate the last German troops withdrawing from Finland, ending the Lapland War and WWII for the Finns, 27 April 1945.
9. Tibetan soldier with a Lee–Metford rifle, 1938.
10. Cruiser ship Queen Elizabeth II passes HMS Ark Royal (R09) during Queen Elizabeth’s II silver jubilee spithead fleet review, 1977.