“Father! – to God himself we cannot give a holier name.” ~William Wordsworth
It was a sultry morning in my school days when I had a brilliant realization in my life- the one that I would like to share with you all. One day, on my way back home from school, our school bus was struck in a traffic jam. In a bid to complete my incomplete snooze of the night, I was about to nod off, when the beggar on the opposite side of the road, caught my sight. He had found a loaf of bread from somewhere, and was busy shredding it into pieces. A closer look revealed that he was actually attempting an equal distribution between his son, daughter and wife.
Not only did my feeling of dozing disappeared but also a lifelong realization popped up in my mind: Why we address both God and Dad as “Father”.
Call him Dad, Pops, Papa or whatever it is– he has been the pillar of your life since you took birth.
FATHER’S DAY HISTORY:
Sonora Dodd, of Washington, first fostered the idea of a “father’s day” while listening to a Mother’s Day sermon in 1909. Sonora wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart. Smart, who was a widowed Civil War veteran.
With much difficulty he raised his children single handedly and bestowed love and affection to make them blossom in life. After Sonora became an adult she realized the selflessness her father had shown in raising his children.
In the eyes of his daughter, Mr. Smart was a courageous, selfless, and loving man. Sonora’s father was born in June, so she chose to hold the first Father’s Day celebration in Washington on the 19th of June 1910.
President Calvin Coolidge, in 1924 first supported the idea of a national Father’s Day. It was followed by a presidential proclamation in 1966 by President Lyndon Johnson, who signed a declaration making the 3rd Sunday of June as Father’s Day. President Richard Nixon signed the law, which finally made it permanent in 1972.
Thus started the celebration!
MAKE THE DAY SPECIAL:
Make sure this 18th June is not just another worn-out celebration, but a make it special-give it a true meaning-a reason for your dad to have a smile!
Try These Ideas Out:
· If you are away from him for the moment, give him a surprise visit in the very morning. Wake him up with a big hug and fill his day with all the fun and frolic. It’s surely going to be the greatest gift.
· If your dad is away from the family at the moment, ring him up in the morning and wish him. Have a long chat and ensure your message of love and care adorns him. In that case don’t forget to celebrate with him when he is back.
· Pamper him with whatever culinary ceremonies he enjoys most, whether it’s breakfast in bed, delicious Chinese cuisine for lunch, evenings snacks at Pizza hut or all of the above.
· You can give him something you know he’d love but will probably not buy for himself: perhaps Jagjit Singh’s collection on CD, a lampshade he’s been admiring in a local gallery, or an autographed photo of his childhood cricket hero.
· You can even gift him small items throughout the day – May be every 4 hours. You may centre all our gifts on a particular theme. If your theme is “Style”, then your gifts may include perfume, hair-gel, sunglasses, or the likes. If your theme is “Office”, then choose from pens, paper-weights, pen-stands, or wallpapers.
· Arrange a surprise party or picnic for your dad. He will definitely enjoy all your companies. After all in this fast paced life we all fall alone at some point or the other.
· Nowadays do your mom and dad spend enough time with each other after looking into the daily cores for everyone else? I don’t think they do. Why don’t you then arrange for a li’l weekend outing for them or at least a show for a movie? I am sure they will be overjoyed.
· Honour your dad, if he is no more, by donating to his favorite charity, paying a visit to his closest friend, or just by taking out sometime and remember him in solitude.
Do ensure that you give your favourite DAD a passionate hug on that day and see him smile gleefully. See to it that18th June 2006 becomes an exception in a positive way. Say “Happy Father’s Day” and make your father’s day look different than the other 364 days of the year.
Article Source: http://www.articledashboard.com